The official ‘opening ‘ of the Flinders Medical Centre Redevelopment by Premier Jay Weatherill and Health Minister John Hill celebrates the end of a 6 year journey by Woodhead and the project team in delivering the most complex brownfield redevelopment ever undertaken in South Australia.
The Collaborative Procurement model that was adopted has a strong focus on collaboration and establishing stretch objectives to deliver a project beyond the ‘business as usual ‘ outcomes. Extensive consultation was also required to ensure the incorporation of new and emerging health strategies and models of care.
The completed project finished 5 months ahead of schedule and well below budget has set new benchmarks in project delivery and health facility planning in Australia.
The Redevelopment included separable projects including;
- The New South Wing, a 4 storey buiding accommodating Birthing, Obstetrics and Gynaecology inpatient accommodatiopn and Finance Administration. This building has been awarded the first (and so far only ) 5 Star Greenstar ‘as designed ‘ and ‘as built’ rating.
- Operating theatre suite totally rebuilt in a staged development while maintaining clinical services . The 10 new operating rooms plus provision for 2 future rooms all at a minimum 63 square metres each have been unanimously endorsed by the users. The redeveloped area also includes a new recovery.
- Emergency Department totally rebuilt and expanded in a staged development while maintaining clinical services at all times. The emergency department redevelopment provided the opportunity to introduce a new model of care.
- Provision of a new 30 bed Acute Assessment unit.
- Provision of a new Cardiac care Unit.
- An expanded Intensive Care unit.
- New Clinics and additional offices.
- A major Infrastructure upgrade to replace aged equipment and systems to improve efficiency and reduce recurrent costs.